Monday, May 9, 2016

The Story So Far...

  I almost elected to launch right into an art post without introducing myself.  Jason Sorrell here, a man who manipulates various media to produce a variety of images and objects.  I'll accept the title of "artist" as long as there are no particular obligations of expectations associated with it.  I do things; draw, paint, sculpt, tattoo, write... And, while over the course of my life I feel I have been prolific in my production, I feel it is high-time I stepped-up and really took it seriously.

 For those of you who are just tuning in, I seem to go through this phase every couple of years.  I tweak my methods and re-arrange how my work is presented.  My first serious attempt at this art-business-thing was a collaborative effort dubbed "Primal Aesthetic".  The idea was that perhaps a group of new artists acting cooperatively would have more of an impact than working individually.  It worked for a bit, but eventually collapsed because not every person had the same level of investment.  

 The next iteration of this art marketing malady was "Creative Oddities Studios".  This had several versions over the course of at least a dozen years and is technically still a thing, though not really the thing I envisioned when I started.  It was "studios", in the plural, for two reasons.  First, because I do so many things it seemed to make sense to compartmentalize; tattooing over here and writing over there, and so on.  The second reason was because, once again, I thought it would be beneficial to be part of a collaborative effort.  Instead of trying to be equal, this time around I was the main-event, with everyone else expected to pull their own weight and follow my model.  It worked out for a while, but eventually just became to ponderous a thing, requiring a lot of maintenance for not a lot of return.  

 So, Creative Oddities Studios has been drawn back and regulated to one role; publication.  And, the publish only one thing; my work.  I've decided to step-up my game, and invest even more financially into the effort.  Moving forward, you are going to hear far more about Jason Sorrell, but that little red demon girl that has been the Creative Oddities Studios logo will be on frequent display in my efforts. 

 Now that you are up-to-speed, let me explain why there is this blog.  With the end of Creative Oddities Studios also came the end of the website where most of my work was displayed.  The next website to feature my work will be leaner, meaner, and designed to produce.  Again, this is where investment becomes involved, buying into some animated graphics, purchasing marketing information, etc.  In the meantime, I will be sharing my work and adventures here, in a forum and format that I know is both effective and productive.  

  I'm not exaggerating about the adventures part, but you will see.  Thanks for swinging by.  Bookmark the page and check in frequently, because I expect things will move kind of fast.

 Jason Sorrell is a writer, tattoo artist, satirist, artist, and generally nice guy living in Austin, TX.  He loves answering questions about tattoos.  Shoot him an email at sorrellart@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment